Making a few small changes to your teeth can completely transform your smile. The cosmetic dentists at Mt. Lookout Dentistry in Cincinnati, OH, discuss the benefits of cosmetic contouring and explain how it can correct minor cosmetic issues.
What is cosmetic contouring?
During cosmetic contouring, a sanding drill or laser is used to remove small sections of tooth enamel. Because only tiny amounts of enamel are removed, you won't need any anesthesia for this painless treatment. Cosmetic contouring is a good choice if you have minor imperfections in your teeth or are unhappy with the length or shape of one of your teeth.
Cosmetic contouring is often paired with reshaping, a process that adds small amounts of bonding material to the teeth to enhance their appearance. Before your cosmetic contouring appointment, you'll visit our Cincinnati office for an exam with our cosmetic dentists to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy. If any problems are spotted, they must be treated before you can schedule a contouring appointment.
Can cosmetic contouring help me?
Cosmetic contouring offers an effective way to address these issues:
- Chips: Wear and tear, grinding your teeth at night, or biting into a hard food or object can cause tiny chips at the bottom of teeth. Because chips most often affect your front teeth, they're highly visible. Fortunately, cosmetic contouring can eliminate these imperfections.
- Uneven Surfaces: Improving your smile can be as simple as smoothing bumps and pits that make the surface of your teeth look uneven.
- Overlapping Teeth: Cosmetic contouring is also used to remove overlapping edges of teeth.
- Crooked Teeth: Removing small amounts of enamel on the sides of your teeth can help them appear straighter.
- Oddly Shaped Teeth: Contouring can correct the appearance of teeth that are unusually shaped or pointed and help your smile look more uniform.
- Long Teeth: Eliminating a little tooth enamel shortens a tooth that's just a little too long.
- Bite Problems: Your teeth may shift slightly as you age. Unfortunately, the change in position may affect your bite, which is the way your teeth fit together. Cosmetic contouring can correct minor bite problems, although you may need orthodontic treatment for more serious bite issues.
Enhance your smile with cosmetic contouring! Call your cosmetic dentists at Mt. Lookout Dentistry in Cincinnati, OH, at (513) 871-2852 to schedule your appointment.